About the Author
Karyn comes from a background in teaching and theatre. Teaching drama, and writing and directing Theatre in Education productions. She’s always loved creating stories and characters, so completed a Masters in Creative Writing at Macquarie University. It was here that her journey of writing Choosing Xaverique began. Now, six years later, she is just a little bit thrilled it has finally been published! Karyn is currently working on the sequel to Choosing Xaverique, which is slated for publication later this year.
I am glad that I got the opportunity to interview this beautiful author. I loved her as much as I loved her book. Here is the interview:
- I read your bio on Goodreads and I realized that writing comes naturally to you. Can you tell us something about yourself that not many people know?
When I was young, I always wanted to be an actor. I did lots of acting classes and even had an agent. It was fun and I had a few jobs but in the end I let go of it because all of the rejection was too hard on my soul. This is where my love of creativity came from though and I discovered how much I enjoyed creating stories.
- What are your views on the latest e-book revolution? Do you think you would have as easily reached out to the audience as you have now if there were no e-books?
e-books have been brilliant in helping my book reach international audiences. I personally favor physical copies, but I also love the convenience of downloading e-books and I’m grateful for their existence.
- I have never heard the concept of ‘Xaveriques’ before. How did this concept hit you? By chance or is there a story behind it?
I first came up with the random idea of a fifteen year-old girl dying and coming back to life, then discovering she is not human. From here, the idea of Xaveriques was born. I loved building on my initial idea and creating a new species, with their own powers and rules.
- If you were given a chance to bring one character from your book to real life, who would he/she be and why?
I think it would have to be Sophia – I love her strength and sense of humor, I’d love to be friends with her.
- Would you like to share with us, the best compliment you have received so far?
The comments I’ve received from readers on my characters in particular have been my dreams coming true – I am especially happy when a reader mentions their love of Noah, as I have a real soft spot for him.
- Noah and Gabby are two protagonists of your book. Who is your favourite of the two? Who did you enjoy writing about more?
I love them both for different reasons. I love Gabby’s strength and loyalty to her family. And I love Noah’s desire to be good – I wish he would realize that he deserves to be loved. I found it very easy to write as Gabby in first person. But I enjoyed the challenge of writing from Noah’s perspective the most. I can’t choose a favorite though – it’s like trying to choosing a favorite child – impossible!
- Is there anything you would like to change about the book?
If I could go back, I would probably slow down some sections a little and make the book slightly longer – although I love the fast-pace, I’ve received a great amount of feedback that my book is too short. I would probably write more from Zlanythe’s perspective.
- If you were a character in your own book, which character would you choose to be and why?
I would be Gabby – she’s everything I would have loved to have been at fifteen – strong, loyal and open-hearted.
- If you could be the author of any other book (already published) apart from yours, which book would it be?
Oh, to be the creator of Harry Potter – just imagine creating that world! Hands down, that’s the author I’d be.
- Tell us a little about your future plans?
I am putting the finishing touches to my sequel and hope to have it published by the end of this year. After that, I have a completely different idea for a book that is just notes at the moment, but I can’t wait to begin writing it.
I also found this extremely adorable image of the author so I thought, why not share it with you all?
About the Book
Reality and fantasy collide when Noah and Gabby meet. Both have secrets: they are not human, cannot be killed and are falling in love with each other.
Gabby Valis is a regular fifteen year old; her biggest worries in life are friends, boys and her annoying brother Zac. But her life is shattered the day she finds out she is not human. She had no idea she belonged to a secret species which has evolved from humans; ‘Xaveriques’. After being hit by a car, her body is forced to heal itself, and Gabby’s powers are unleashed…
‘I died this morning. At exactly 8.17 am my heart stopped beating and I lay cold and still in the street. At 8.24 am my heart resumed beating, I jumped up from the dusty pavement and ran home. Confused? Well, that makes two of us.’